Professor at CFINS, Dept.
Automation Tsinghua University, China.
Visiting scholar at ECE
Carnegie-Mellon University, U.S.
(worked with Prof.
Visiting scholar at DEAS
Harvard Univeristy, U.S.
(worked with Prof. Yu-Chi Ho)
Visiting professor at ECE Cornell University, U.S. (worked with Prof. Lang Tong)
Born in Dec.,1969, Hebei Province, China.
Ph.D. from Tsinghua
1996 July. (Major Control theory and its applicaitons) Advisor Prof. Zheng
BE form Tsinghua
1992 July. (Major Automatic control)
BS from Tsinghua
1992 July. (Minor Applied mathematics)
My Ph.D. Thesis
Robustness for DEDS and Performance Optimization, and Scheduling for HDS:
Theory and Methods(abstract). (advisor: Prof.
Algebra in System and Control Theory (For graduate students: teach
together with Prof. Jie Zhou)
Dynamic Event Systems (For graduate students)
System Theory (For graduate students)
Evaluation and Optimization of Complex Systems (Teaching assistant for
Prof. Yu-Chi Ho)
Theory (In English for graduate students)
Algebraic method in DEDS (Discrete Event
Scheduling and optimization of Hybrid
Optimization for complex systems
Students worked with me
Li Xiaohuan, Dong Helen Qunfang, Shen Ting, Zhu Xinping, Qiao Li-An, Zhang Guangbin (I was as their
undergraduate thesis advisor)
Xingchu, Wang Yu, Cai Yan, Mao Jianfeng, Wang Zhuo, Liu Fei,
Tao Ye, Liao Jinmei (I was their master degree advisor)
Qingshan (I was his ph.d. degree co-advisor)
Students working with me
Yan Chaobo, Zhang Xin (I am their master
Yan Han, Da Wang (I am their ph.d. degree
Sun Jin, Shen Zhen, Mingyang Li (I am their ph.d. degree co-advisor)
Zhao Yanjia (CFINS ph.d. student)
Other friends in research
Prof. Zhang Zhongfu
in Math. Division Lanzhou Railway Institute (I worked with him on graph theory)
Prof. Hu Guanzhang in Math
dept. Tsinghua Univ. (He advised my undergraduate
thesis with Prof. Zheng Da-Zhong)
Prof. Lin Yuanlie in Math
dept. Tsinghua Univ. (I worked with him on stochastic
Dr. Ke Yang was in Computer Science
dept. Carnegie Mellon Univ. (I worked with him on algorithm complexity)
Dr. Sun, Kai
was in dept. Automation Tsinghua Univ. (I worked with him on safety of power
Ph.D. student Wang,
Yongcai in dept. Automation Tsinghua Univ. (I am working with him on model
reduction and sensor networks)
Ph.D. student Tu, Guoyu
in dept. Automation Tsinghua Univ. (I am working with her on model reduction)
Ph.D. student Xia,
Li in dept. Automation Tsinghua Univ. (I am working with him on Joint
Former Ph.D. student Song,
Chen in dept. Automation Tsinghua Univ
on leave from Xi’an Jiatong Univ. (I am working with him on
machine learning based ordinal optimization)
Professors in CFINS (see here)
Brief introduction to research results
Published more than 30 papers and two books.
In 1993, found with Prof. Zhang, Zhongfu
the total chromatic number of K-cube and proved that the Behzad Conjecture
(1965) is true for K-Cubes. The result was published in Qianchuan Zhao and Zhongfu Zheng,
On the total chromatic number of k-cubes, Journal of Taiyuan Institute of
Machinery, vol.14, no.4, 1993. pp. 292-296.
In 1996, established with Prof. Zheng,
Da-Zhong the Kharitnov-like vertex check criterion for the robustness of event
order of DEDS described by max-algebra (This paper was awarded the 4th
HO PAN QING YI best paper award in DEDS field in the year 2000). The result was published Acta Automatica
Sinica, Vol.23, no.4, 1997 (see * below).
In 1999, introduced the concept of
inseparability for a class of nonlinear DEDS (min, max, +) systems and proved
that it implies structural stability (see ** below). The work and its extension was awarded the
9th GUAN ZHAO ZHI best paper award in the year 2003.
In 2005, due to contribution of our team,
we are awarded 2005 UTRC Outstanding Achievement Award.
Brief introduction to some research projects
- [P1] On DEDS problems in advanced network and communication
systems (Fundamental Research Grant of Tsinghua University 1999.09-2002.9,
- [P2] Min-Max type nonlinear DEDS theory (National Science
Foundation of China, 2001.01-2003.12, active member)
- [P3] International cooperation project,
- [P4] Robust analysis and control for interval DEDS based on
verification (National Science Foundation of China, 2003.01-2005.12, PI)
- [P5] International cooperation project, 2004.05-2004.11, PI
- [P6] Case study of decision making method for splitting power
systems (973 Fundamental Research
Grant of China,
- [P7] International cooperation project, 2006.03-2007.12, PI
Some recent papers
Please note that the papers available here
may be covered by copyright and the download of the papers automatically
implies that the user accept these copyright restrictions.
- *Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, Robustness of event order
of discrete event dynamic system, Acta Automatica Sinica, Vol.23, no.4,
1997. (Also in Chinese Journal of Automation Vol.9 no.3, p163-169, 1997.)
- Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, Robustness of a Class of Timed Petri
Nets with Constraints, Acta Automatica Sinica, Vol. 26 No. 6 pp. 803-806,
2000. (In Chinese)
- Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, Robust Control for a class
of DEDS, in 2000' Chinese Control Conference, Hong
Kong Dec. 2000
- download author's zipped ps file)
- Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, Stable and Real-Time
Scheduling of a Class of Hybrid Dynamic Systems, J. DEDS, vol.9, no.1,
- Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, Stable and Real-Time Scheduling
of A Class of Perturbed Hybrid Dynamic Systems, IFAC World Congress, vol
J. pp.91-96, 1999.
- **Qianchuan Zhao, Da-Zhong Zheng and Xinping Zhu, Structure Properties
of Min-Max Systems and Existence of Global Cycle Time, IEEE Trans.
Automat. Contr.,vol. 46,no.1, pp.148-151, 2001
- Qianchuan Zhao, Da-Zhong Zheng and Bruce H. Krogh, Complexity
of verification of event order in max-algebra models, in Proceedings of
the 2002 International Conference on Control and Automation, Xiamen, China, June 16-19. Paper
- Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, On Stabilization of Min-Max
Systems, Automatica, vol. 39, no.4, pp. 751-756, 2003.
- Ke Yang and Qianchuan Zhao, Balance Problem of Min-Max Systems
is co-NP hard, Systems & Control Letters, vol.53, no.3-4, pp. 303-310,
- Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, Structural Properties of
Min-Max Functions, Technique Report, Tsinghua University,
- Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, On Deciding the Size of
Eigenspace of Min-Max Functions, Technique Report
- Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, Note on Structural Properties
and Sizes of Their Eigenspace of Min-max systems, Posta 2003. in Lecture
Notes in Control and Information Sciences 294, pp.393-400, Luca Benvenuti,
Alberto De Santis and Lorenzo Farina (Eds.)
- Qianchuan Zhao, A Remark on Inseparability of Min-Max System,
IEEE Tran. Automat. Contr. vol.49,
no.6, , 2004, pp. 967- 970
- Qianchuan Zhao and Jianfeng Mao, Time Separation for Cyclic
Event Rule Systems, accepted by CCC2004.
- Qianchuan Zhao, Performance Bounds for a Class of Workflow
Diagrams, Proceedings of 2005 International Conference on Intelligent
Computing, LNCS 3645, 626–635, 2005
- Qianchuan Zhao and Bruce H. Krogh, Formal Verification of
Statecharts Using Finite-State Model Checkers. IEEE Transactions on Control System Technology, 14(5):
Applications of DEDS Theory
- Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, Performance estimations of
production lines with stochastic processing parameters, Acta Automatica
Sinica ,v 23, n 1, Jan 1997 (In Chinese)
- Qianchuan Zhao and Da-Zhong Zheng, New Performance Bounds for
CAF Policies, Research Report, 2000
- Qianchuan Zhao, Kai Sun, Da-Zhong Zheng, Jin Ma and Qiang Lu, A
Study of System Splitting Strategies for Island Operation of Power System:
A Two-phase Method Based on OBDDs, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems,
2003, vol.18, no.4, pp. 1556- 1565.
- Kai Sun, Qianchuan Zhao, Da-Zhong Zheng, Jin Ma and Qiang Lu A
Study of System Splitting Strategies for Island Operation of Power System:
A Two-phase Method Based on OBDD, PowerCon 2002 IEEE-PES/CSEE
International Conference on Power System Technology, Vol.2, pp.834-838,
Oct. 13-17, 2002, China (This is an early primary version of the IEEE TPS
- Qianchuan Zhao, Bruce H. Krogh and Paul Hubbard, Generation of
Test Inputs for Embedded Control Systems, IEEE Control System Magazine,
vol. 23, no. 4, pp.49-57, 2003.
- Jianfeng Mao, Christos G. Cassandras and Qianchuan Zhao, Optimal Dynamic Voltage Scaling in
Energy-Limited Nonpreemptive Systems with Real-Time Constraints，IEEE
Transactions on Mobile Computing,
- Jianfeng Mao and Qianchuan Zhao, Verification algorithms for
asynchronous circuits, Chinese Journal of Computer, v .27, n.1, pp.66-78,
2004. (in Chinese)
- Xingxuan Wang, Qianchuan Zhao and Dazhong Zheng, Atmospheric
Furnace Multiple-Pass Outlet Temperature Uniformity Control Using Improved
Difference Control Technique, Proceedings of the 2004 International
Conference on Intelligent Mechatronics and Automation(ICIMA2004), UESTC,
Chengdu, China, August 26-31, 2004, 182-186.
- Yu Wang, Qianchuan Zhao, and Da-Zhong Zheng, TCP Congestion
Control Algorithm on Self-Similar Traffic Netowrk, J China Institute of
Communications, vol.22, no.5, pp.32-38, 2001 (in Chinese)
- Li-An Qiao, Qianchuan Zhao, and Da-Zhong Zheng, Modeling and
Analysis of Data Flow Generated by Multi-Sources, J China Institute of
Communications, vol.22, no.10, pp.27-34, 2001 (in Chinese)
- Yan Cai and Qianchuan Zhao, The Analysis of TCP Protocol Based
on Max-Plus Algebra, Chinese Journal of Computer, vol.25, no.11,
pp.1133-1143, 2002 (in Chinese)
- Yu Wang, Qianchuan Zhao, and Yan Cai, A New Two-time Scale
Congestion Control Algorithm in Transport Layer on Self-similar Traffic
Network, Technique Report Tsinghua University, 2002.
- Yan Cai and Qianchuan Zhao, On network capacity and network
topology, Computer Engineering and Applications, vol.39, no.15,
pp.178-183, 2003 (in Chinese).
- Li Xia, Xi Chen, Qianchuan Zhao, Yongheng Jiang, and Xiaohong
Guan, Introduction to Wireless Sensor Networks and Their Applications, Zi
Dong Hua Bo Lan (in Chinese). 2004
- Jianfeng Mao, Qianchuan Zhao and Christos G. Cassandras,
Optimal Dynamic Voltage Scaling in Power-Limited Systems with Real-Time
Constraints, Technique Report, CFINS, Tsinghua University, Feb, 2004. A brief version has been published in
CDC 2004, pp.1472-1477.
- Yu-Chi Ho, David L. Pepyne, Qianchuan Zhao, Hong Liu, Qin Yu,
and Brent Dukes, ProgramID, J. DEDS, vol.14, no.4, 381-393, 2004.
- Yongcai Wang, Qianchuan Zhao and Dazhong Zheng, Energy-Driven
Adaptive Clustering Data Collection Protocol in Wireless Sensor Networks,
Proceedings of the 2004 International Conference on Intelligent
Mechatronics and Automation(ICIMA2004), UESTC, Chengdu, China, August
26-31, 2004, 599-604.
- Qianchuan Zhao, A remark on “Scalar equations for
synchronous Boolean networks with biological applications”. IEEE
Trans. Neural Networks，16(6), 1715-1716, 2005.
- Xin Zhang and Qianchuan Zhao, Dynamics of Boolean Networks with
Small-World Topology, Chinese Control Conference, 2005, 197-201.(in
- Fei Liu and Qianchuan Zhao, An efficient organization mechanism
for spatial networks, Physica A, 366:608- 618, 2006.
- Qianchuan Zhao, Qingshan Jia and Yang Cao, How much spare
capacity is necessary for the security of resource networks? Physica A,
373, 861-873, 2007.
- Ruixi Yuan, Qianchuan Zhao, Hong Cai, Wenyu Wang, Xin Zhang and
Hui Li, Service Selection Modeling in Networked Environments, ICEBE 2006,
- Qianchuan Zhao, Stefan Geirhofer, Lang Tong, and Brian M. Sadler,
“Optimal Dynamic Spectrum Access via Periodic Channel
Sensing”, WCNC 2007, T1S02P03.
Complex system theory & Optimization
- Yu-Chi Ho, Qianchuan Zhao and David Pepyne, The No Free Lunch
Theorem, Complexity, and Computer Security, IEEE Trans. Automat.
Contr. vol. 48, no. 5, pp.783-793,
- Qianchuan Zhao, Yu-Chi Ho and Qingshan Jia, Vector Ordinal
Optimization, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, vol.125,
no.2, pp. 259-274, 2005.
- Qingshan Jia, Yu-Chi Ho
and Qianchuan Zhao, Comparison of Selection Rules for Ordinal
Optimization, Mathematical and Computer Modeling, 43 (9-10): 1150-1171,
- Yu-Chi Ho Qingshan Jia and Qianchuan Zhao, The
Equivalence between Ordinal Optimization in Deterministic Complex Problems
and in Stochastic Simulation Problems, JDEDS, 16(3):405-411, 2006
- Xiaohong Guan, Chen Song, Yu-Chi Ho and Qianchuan Zhao,
Constrained ordinal optimization - A feasibility model based approach,
JDEDS, 16 (2): 279-299, 2006.
- Chen Song, Xiaohong Guan and Qianchuan Zhao, Constrained
Ordinal Optimization Approach for Remanufacturing Planning, accepted by
- Chen Song, Xiaohong Guan, Qianchuan Zhao, Yu-Chi Ho, Machine
Learning Approach for Determining Feasible Plans of a Remanufacturing
System, IEEE Transactions on
Automation Science and Engineering, 2(3):262-275, 2005.
- Guoyu Tu, Peter B Luh and Qianchuan Zhao, A Decomposition
Method for Joint Replacement Decision Optimization, accepted by CDC2004.
- Sun Tao, Qianchuan Zhao, Luh PB, and Tomastik RN, Joint Replacement Optimization for
Multi-Part Maintenance Problems, Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ
International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan,
September 2004, pp.1232-1237.
Qiangchuan Zhao, Kai Sun, Da-zhong Zheng, Qiang Lu and Jin Ma, “A
New Approach for Determining Proper Splitting Strategies for Controlled System
Islanding of Large-scale Power Networks Against Blackouts”, Chinese
patent number 03122884.4, 2003
(can be located from http://www.sipo.gov.cn/sipo/zljs/default.htm)
SFI 2004 summer school at Qingdao (CSSS
A good book
I translated into Chinese (with Prof.
Da-Zhong Zheng) the excellent textbook on the hot Quantum Computing:
Micael A. Nielson and Issac L. Chuang, Quantum Computation and Quantum Information,
Cambridge University Press 2000.
The Chinese translation was published by Tsinghua University Press. (Let me know if you have any comments
Service in academe
Associate Editor for the Journal of
Optimization Theory and Applications (JOTA) Here is
an information for authors (2003 version) of JOTA.
International Program Committee member for The Workshop on Discrete Event Systems (WODES'04)
for International Symposium on Intelligent and
Networked Systems (ISINS'2004)
Associate Editor for the joint meeting CDC-ECC'05
Program Committee member for the 2006 International Conference on
Intelligent Computing (ICIC 2006)
Updated Mar., 2007